Ph.D. Program 2018
The International EpiGenMed PhD program of the University of Montpellier is currently accepting applications for 3-year Ph.D positions to be started on October 1, 2018.
The Labex (Laboratory of Excellence) EpiGenMed is a Health Sciences collaborative research program at the University of Montpellier that is financed by the Excellence Initiative of the French Ministry of Research and that involves the leading research laboratories of 14 scientific institutes in the area. Five major axes of research involving 58 top-level research groups are supported by this initiative:
• Genome and Epigenome
• Cell Cycle, Cell Fate and Development
• Infection and Immunity
• Integrating Systems in Neuroscience
• Biophysics and Systems Biology
EpiGenMed Thesis Training includes
- Financial contribution to the participation in one congress or training course by the Labex EpiGenMed once during the time of your three-year contract.
- Financial contribution to an internship abroad to learn a new technique.
- Possibility to participate in the organisation of an international scientific conference in Montpellier
- Labex EpiGenMed Training Actions
Candidates must have achieved academic excellence and be highly motivated to pursue a PhD project in one of the above research areas. They should have obtained a Masters 2 level diploma or equivalent by summer 2018.
Successful candidates will be enrolled at Montpellier University's Doctoral School of Health Sciences of Montpellier University (CBS2). The University of Montpellier is a major interdisciplinary campus (47.000 students) in the South of France, with state-of-the-art facilities for biomedical research. It is one of the oldest Universities in the world (1160 ad) and it has the oldest active Medical School in the western world.
Applications in French or in English should be uploaded with this form (you have to fill in) (your APPLICATION SUBMISSION) by March 31, 2018 and should include:
• A letter of motivation/personal statement
• A detailed CV
• Final year school results (French Baccalaureate, A-level or equivalent)
• University diplomas (Bachelor/Licence, Master, others)
• A list of the attended university courses and their content (those which are the most representative of your university career and supporting for your application)
• Transcripts (Grades) of your university education (Undergraduate and Master level)
You first have to register on the website. As a confirmation of your registration you will recieve a reference ID via email. With this ID you can upload your application file. You have to keep this ID carefully and communicate it to your referees for their use on the website (REFERENCE LETTER SUBMISSION).
Even if you have already registered during the last years on this website, please register again this year in order to receive a new ID for this year's campaign.
Two signed reference letters on headed paper in French or in English from supervisors or researchers highlighting your laboratory experience and skills should be uploaded directly by your referees to the EpiGenMed website using your reference ID. Like you did, your referees have to register to receive a personal ID (even if they have alreday registered during the last years, they have to register again this year in order to receive a new ID for this year's campaign). To be able to upload their letters for your application, your referees will have to use their personal ID AND they also need YOUR personal EpiGenMed registration ID number.
Pre-selection and interview/on-site visit: The EpiGenMed selection committee will preselect a list of candidates who will receive an invitation to visit the campus. Applicants will meet the EpiGenMed Scientific Committee, current Ph.D. students, a representative from the Doctoral School and 3 group leaders. Beforehand, each candidate will indicate 3 names of team leaders whose research activities are of interest to them, and visits will be organized according to this list, and the availability of the team leaders. Travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by EpiGenMed. Applicants from outside the European Union will be interviewed by videoconference.
Final selection: The selection committee will then rank the applicants, taking into account the opinions of the group leaders who interviewed them. Acceptance letters will be sent immediately to the top candidates, who will be asked to respond within an inidacted deadline. The next following candidates will also be notified of their outcome. Should a candidate refuse the offer, the first candidate on the waiting list will receive a letter of acceptance.
Assignment of the PhD Thesis Supervisor
After the selection process, each student who enters the program will establish a list of his/her 3 first choices of teams among the Labex EpiGenMed teams currently accepting applications. The selection committee will assign the student taking into account these priorities, as well as the wishes of the team leaders.
Supervision of the PhD thesis work
The PhD student will be supervised by his/her thesis supervisor, who must be « Habilitated to Direct Research (HDR) », according to the rules of the Doctoral School. Each student will also be assigned a personal tutor, who must be from another institute than the one where the thesis work will be carried out. An annual activity report will be submitted to the thesis committee, followed by an oral presentation in the presence of the tutor and the thesis supervisor.
Deadlines for application and selection
• Applications should be uploaded directly to the EpiGenMed website by March 31, 2018 at the latest.
• The 2 referees should upload their signed reference letters on headed paper for each candidate directly to the EpiGenMed website by March 31, 2018.
• Pre-selection of applicants and invitation to visit the site: April 2018.
• Candidate's on-site visit/interview (or video conference): May 2018.
• Final ranking and acceptance letter: May 2018.
• Deadline for student's acceptance: June 2018.
• Start of PhD thesis: October 1st, 2017.
• Duration: The PhD thesis contract lasts for three years.
• Studentship: The monthly gross salary will be around 1760 euros.